Announcing the first annual Cope Environmental Center Bird-a-thon! This ten day event will take place during our #100DaysofCope event from May 10 – May 20, 2020 and will support CEC programming. As this event takes place during our #100DaysofCope , we hope to honor the legacy of one of our founders, Jim Cope, who was an expert ornithologist and so much more!
What is a bird-a-thon? It is like a walk-a-thon or read-a-thon, but instead of counting steps or books, we count birds! It is an opportunity to get outside, learn your birds, and help raise funds for Cope Environmental Center. You can recruit supporters to pledge $.25, $.50, $1.00, or more for each different bird species (or they can support by making a flat donation!)
Listed below are the three ways to participate:
- Solo Birders: Bird anytime from Sunday, May 10, to Wednesday, May 20. Walk in your neighborhood, watch at your bird feeders, search lakes and ponds, drive in your car, or go for a hike at places like CEC, Hayes Arboretum, and the parks. You will seek supporters who will either pledge $ for each different species of bird you can check off your list in the 10-day period, or make a flat donation. You will submit your Pledge Tracking Form and a copy of your Bird Checklist to CEC before May 25 to be eligible for awards. All pledges toward the CEC Bird-a-thon event are tax-deductible.
- Register as a Solo Birder here: Solo Birder Registration Google Form
- Teams: Same as above but in teams no larger than 6. One of these six members will play the role of Team Captain. Teams can be families, friends, or coworkers and will compete against other teams. Team members can bird individually or in groups. Each team member will submit their Pledge Tracking Form and a copy of their Bird Checklist to their Team Captain before May 25 to be eligible for awards. All pledges toward the CEC Bird-a-thon event are tax-deductible. Please use proper social distancing when birding in groups — even on trails.
- Register as a Team Member here: Team Registration Google Form
- Sponsor: Sponsor the event itself with a tax-deductible donation! You can be a participant AND a sponsor! All pledges toward the Bird-a-thon event are tax-deductible.
- Levels: $50 Hummingbird Sponsor, $250 Great Blue Heron Sponsor, $100 Cardinal Sponsor, $500 Eagle Sponsor
- Pledge to be a Bird-a-thon Event Sponsor by clicking the Donate Now button below:
Instructions and packet:
Each Solo Birder and Team member will require a packet which includes:
- The Fledgling Bird Checklist (with a cheat sheet of about 60 birds) that will make birding easy and fun for all ages, plus a link to the complete Indiana state bird checklist.
- A sample “ask” letter to personalize and send to prospective sponsors.
- Pledge Tracking Form for tracking sponsors and pledges to submit to CEC or your Team Captain.
When the bird-a-thon ends:
- Team Captains: Please submit all Team Members’ Pledge Tracking Form, a copy of their Bird Checklist, and Team Captain Final Report to CEC along with any pledges collected.
- Solo Birders: Please submit your completed Pledge Tracking Form and a copy of your Bird Checklist to CEC along with any pledges collected.
*Packets can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted by mail to Cope Environmental Center, 1730 Airport Road, Centerville, IN 47330.
- Solo Birder who sees the most species
- Team that sees the most species
- Solo Birder who raises the most money
- Team that raises the most money
A free family membership will be given to all participants who raise $50 or more!
Have questions about the Bird-a-thon?
Email email@example.com for more information!